Monday, June 16, 2014

Vegas Baby!

Not even 2 weeks ago, we were resigned to staying put,
and Jacob would just substitute teach in the local district.
We'd stay in this cramped apartment,
and he would work a full schedule with no chance of benefits.
But we we're okay with it, I was even happy, 
because that meant we weren't moving again.

Well, much to our surprise,
a school from Las Vegas called and a charter school in Mesa called
with in days of each other and he did phone interviews for both.
Well on Thursday, the day after his second phone interview with the principal in Vegas,
he was asked to come in to meet the principal at the charter school.
He was given a verbal offer on the spot for the charter school.
We we're ecstatic, and ready to call and accept it, 
when 2 hours later he got the call from Vegas offering him the job there!
WHAT?! Two seemingly amazing offers in one day,
and Vegas needed an answer by the following night!!!
We were floored, to say the least. 

We went back and forth over and over, and eventually decided to stay.
 But, of course 5 minutes later, Vegas called and dropped the deal maker.
The school is a Title 1 school, meaning it is in a poorer area.
Because of the Title 1 status, if we we're to stay with them for 5 years,
Jacob could qualify for student loan forgiveness.
Holy Moly! How nice would that be to not have to pay those off!
And then we read up on their retirement program and benefits package.
It felt like the dream job you expect to get in 10 years
was falling right into our laps.
But I couldn't bring myself to say "yes."

I don't how many people know this about me, but,
I don't like change!
I like my routine, I like the idea of things being the same a year from now.
Sameness soothes me.
I hate the idea of moving somewhere I've never lived before.
(I bawled my eyes out when we left Rexburg, and I kinda hated it there) 
The idea of moving to another town, another ward,
well that just makes me anxious.

So the thought of leaving my ward here in Mesa,
I just couldn't fathom it.
Jacob has made a lot of contacts with teachers in the area
we both have awesome callings with the youth,
we found a great playgroup,
I have made some AMAZING friends,
and we finally know our way around enough that we don't get lost anymore.
This place was really feeling like home.
I was ready to settle down here, and make our lives here.

But, after an evening out with some girl friends,

I was ready to do what needed to be done.
The entire 10 minute drive home,
I spoke out loud in prayer 
that I would have the strength to support my husband in this career move.
I prayed that I could be a refuge for him,
and to not be a source of worry for him,
because I knew up to that point that 
my feelings on moving were all was holding him back.

So as I walked in the door,
Jacob and I looked at each other
and we both said, more or less,

 "Vegas Baby!"

I really hope this is our last big move for a VERY long time.
Even if it isn't,
at least I'm not pregnant this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment