Thursday, June 10, 2010

Gluten-Free Zone

The title must be raising some questions, but before I can go into why I don't eat gluten I need to go into some background.

Since the summer before my senior year of high school, I randomly get random, intense, and paralyzing stomach pains. It's been something that has kept me on high alert, and when we went to go get it checked, it just never seemed to be a firm answer i got from the doctors. They threw around a lot of maybes, and terms like IBS, acid reflex, and some stuff as simple as strong stomach acid. But you see, I never really got an answer as to what to do about.
I've just dealt with this problem because I didn't feel like having my parents pay for a bunch of tests and to get no sure results. So now, being back at school, it started to flair up a lot more than usual. It's been effecting my classes, private lessons, and my job and Jacob and I started looking into trying to find answers. One of my coworkers actually suggested looking into gluten-intolerance, and sure enough it seems to the trick. Basically, gluten is a protein in wheat that upsets some peoples stomachs, and it certainly does mine.
I have to be honest, I still eat bread when I really can't fight the cravings. It hurts sometimes but I am ok with the pain just for the shear taste of bread. The problem with that though is that gluten-intolerance often can be Celiacs disease, which pretty much makes eating gluten products fatal.

Nothing has officially been confirmed but going without it is helping. I mean I don't feel perfectly fine now, but it's better than before. I have an appointment tomorrow with a doctor that is completely new to my case and hopefully I'll actually get some answers.

But for now, my awesome roommate took us home for memorial weekend, and her mommy taught me how to make rice bread, and we got some time away. We really enjoyed ourselves and can't wait for classes to get out and go home!

i <3 jacob!

2 comments:

  1. Going gluten free can be totally overwhelming! I have tried it for cole--who I think has an intolerance for it--but being the lazy person I am, stopped when he complained about the food. I know quite a few people who don't eat gluten, or eat it occasionally like you do, and they say it is very manageable. We are starting Cole back on gluten free next week, so we can compare notes if I have a Dr. that gives any interesting input!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I would have known as a kid about this. I have met some people who don't even remember what regular wheat bread tastes like. I think the hardest part is breaking old habits, and completely changing the diet I've had since I was a kid. I have, however, accepted the fact that it is completely unhealthy for me. I have to start eating it again just until I get my Celiacs blood test next week, and I just can't handle it!

    ReplyDelete